Youth & Family Ministry E-bulletin April 15, 2017
It's Holy Saturday
Let's just do two new announcements
1. The May 1st edition of the youth & family e-bulletin will contain some "save the date" information for school year 2017-2018. If you would like to add some dates to that calendar announcement let Gary know by Friday April 28th.
2. Columbus area churches: Rich Melheim of Faith Inkubators will be in the area on Tuesday June 13, 2017 and is looking for a church to host a Cross+Gen event.
Interested? Rich directly at RAMelheim2@faithink.com
The rest of the e-bulletin is the same as last time...
First, mark your calendars with Gathering Stuff...
- Spring Youth Gathering Informational Meeting: Saturday May 13th from 10 am to noon at St. Peter's Lancaster. RSVP to Gary or Diane.
- Fall Youth Gathering Informational Meeting: Saturday August 19th from 10 am to noon at All Saint's, Worthington
- Fall Youth Gathering Informational Meeting: Thursday September 7th from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at St. John's, Vandalia
- Fall Youth Gathering Informational Meeting: Wednesday September 13th from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at Good Shepherd, Cincinnati
- The volunteer application process opens in May 2017 via links from the Gathering website. There are four categories of volunteers: Local Volunteers, Community Life, Gathering Volunteer Corps, and Servant Companions. For more information on volunteering at the Gathering and the application process, sign up for the webinar and tune in on April 6 at 7 p.m. Central time.
Now For Other Announcements
1. I recently came across an excellent opportunity for High School Sophomores and Juniors. A couple of Pastors at Grandview College (ELCA) in Des Moines, Iowa received a grant from Eli-Lilly to put together a Theological Academy. Their goal is to bring the deepest thinking Lutheran students together for a week of faith exploration. The deadline is May 15th. Contact Gary with interest OR
Visit The Nexus Institute
2. Interested in the Something More Retreat April 28/29? Something More is our skills oriented equipping event for High School Students. Contact Mary Ellen at MEHelms@popluther.org
4. Other Youth Gathering Information:
Contact Diane to get on the information distribution list (email@example.com)
Contact Gary if you want to coordinate transportation with other congregations (firstname.lastname@example.org). This offer is also open to those outside of the Synod who receive this e-bulletin
Keep in mind that we will be offering the opportunity of purchasing a Southern Ohio Synod 2018 Youth Gathering t-shirt. The cost will be $10.
We plan to have the design ready for viewing early autumn and we will be taking orders between January and Easter 2018.
5. Other LOMO Opportunities
6. Upcoming elcaymnet.org 3rd Tuesday conversations.
7. Then there's the Facebook party held by the Christian Education Network...
The Christian Education Network of the ELCA is starting a series of Facebook parties in 2017 and you're invited!
Hosted by one of our board members, Emily O'Brion Dalen, our Facebook parties will be a great way to learn from each other and meet others in the Christian education community. All Facebook parties begin at 8:00 p.m. Central in our Facebook group. Mark your calendars and join us!
Facebook Party Schedule
Tuesday, April 18: Involving Older Adults with Children's Ministry
Tuesday, Mary 16: Equipping Adults to Lead Small Groups
NOTHING NEW BELOW THIS LINE
Everything below this line is for new folks and/or
those looking for easy links to ELCA resources
Four Things the Church can do better on Social Media - Click Here
Carey Nieuwof.com episode 21 Practical Tech Hacks That Will Free Up Your Time To Lead
Saying Goodbye by Aaron Matson Have you ever moved? What was the hardest part for you? What helped you adjust to your new community? Talk to your youth about saying good-bye.
Sparkhouse offers multiple webinars every week
Sparkhouse: sparkhouse develops faith formation resources for children, youth, and adults. They strive to spark new life in Christian communities through imagination and collaboration. Click Here to get to their main site or to see their new confirmation material: Click Here
And FYI, Youth Ministry Links...
is a Facebook presence for that provides links to all things youth ministry
The Two Most Important Things To Do In Youth Ministry....
Other Noteworthy Information...
Our Southern Ohio Synod LOMO Board Members include...
- Diane Coning (Vice President), Gloria Dei, Cincinnati
- Rev Bob Miller, St. Paul, Dayton
- Mike Poyer, Epiphany, Pickerington
- Scott Haligowski, Epiphany, Centerville
- Gary represents the Bishop on the Board
Oesterlen Services for Youth is a Lutheran institution based out of Springfield.
Pastor Bonnie Kinnunen is the chaplain.
The Southern Ohio Synod is represented on the Oesterlen Board of Directors by the following...
- Kay Labosky (All Saints, Worthington)
- Peri Bonner (Galilee, Russells Point)
- Pastor David Buchenroth (Lord of Life, Worthington)
- Rev Carol Gesalman (Fifth, Springfield)
- Rev Ralph Wolfe (Clinton Heights, Clinton Heights)
- Deb Baldwin (First, Xenia)
- Pastor Rachel Tune (Wittenberg University)
Become aware of these ELCA Youth Ministry offerings...
The ELCA offers us much. Below are few ways our denomination helps us out at the Synod and Congregational level.
The ELCA Youth Ministry Network
The ELCA Youth Ministry Network is a major part of our church. Here is their Mission Statement...
The ELCA Youth Ministry Network exists to strengthen and empower adult youth ministry leaders in service to Christ as a part of God's mission.
They are a dues paying membership organization and are worth checking out.
Click Here for More Information
You should also be aware of the Practice Discipleship Training Initiative (PD). In its fourth year, PD is an outgrowth of the Youth Gathering, funded by the ELCA Youth Ministry Network and supported by Churchwide. Its goal is to provide training to adults in congregations who work with youth. Gary will soon be adding both past and present curriculum to the Synod website.
And then there's SYMBOL...
SYMBOL stands for the Synodical Youth Ministry Band Of Leaders. Symbol is a network of adults interested in youth ministry at the Synod level. It bridges the gap between Churchwide and our local congregations. Offering retreats and other events, Gary is a member (there are no dues) and he attends as many of the events as possible. If you are interested in learning more and/or wish to attend SYMBOL events on behalf of our Synod connect with Gary.
The Youth Summit:
Giving youth the opportunity to become involved in the wider church, the Youth Summit is an annual leadership event held each autumn. Each Synod is eligible to send two youth and one adult to the event.
FYI, Gary is a member of The Christian Education Network Of the ELCA (Formerly LACE) within the past month. Stay tuned for updates or: Click Here
Church Mutual Risk Reporter Ideas: Mission Trip Tips...
Gary's Book Give-A-Away:
A free Faith Webbing book was offered to each Synod congregation in 2014. And a free What's In Your Bag? book was offered to each Synod congregation in 2015. Have not received your set yet? Contact Gary.
Need additional books? Visit Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Xulon, or Gary usually has a few in his trunk in you want to save on shipping.
Yep, we all know Gary loves the Faith Webbing Concept. Connect with Gary if you would like to hear more or to schedule a visit. FYI, A free book was made available to all Synod congregations in 2014. Over 150 of our congregations now have the book on site.
Outcome-Based Youth Ministry
And yep, it does not take much to get Gary talking about equipping our children and youth with the necessary Faith Skills to live out their personal calling in life.
FYI, A free book was offered to all Synod congregations in 2015. Over 120 were passed out at the Synod Assembly back in June.
Just so you know... As many of you know Gary & Laurie have been in youth ministry for...well...let's just say a long time. Over the past few years they have been consistently receiving contacts from congregations outside the Southern Ohio Synod asking for youth ministry consultation. Many of them ELCA congregations.
In response, Gary & Laurie have developed a web-based youth ministry coaching service called faithwebbing.com. The website is designed to meet the needs of congregations outside of the Southern Ohio Synod and will be interdenominational in nature.
The new venture has the blessing of Bishop Dillahunt and will not affect Gary’s work in his position in the Southern Ohio Synod. Oh Yeah, you do not need to visit the new website. Gary will continue to provide all of the same services for Synod congregations at no direct charge through your congregations mission support.
Cluster Get Togethers, Training Events for Youth and/or Adults, and Youth Events...
are scheduled as folks raise their hand and say, "Hey, let's do one in my area." Contact Gary and after a date, time, and location are chosen, he will advertise the event through facebook, youth & family e-bulletins, and hard copy mailings to congregations. We currently have two clusters that meet regularly. One in Central Ohio and one in Middletown, Ohio. Each cluster group meets three to four times a year.
Standard Synod Youth & Family
A. Consider Joining the Synod Youth & Family Ministry Facebook Page
Just for you...a youth and family ministry facebook group page has been created focusing on our favorite topic. Here's a chance to ask questions, have discussions, and share what you are doing in youth and family ministry to an entire network.
To join, send a request to Gary Pecuch through Facebook or send an email request and Gary will send you an invitation.
B. Youth & Family E-bulletins are sent out the 1st and 15th of each month
C. A Hard Copy Mailing of Youth & Family Ministry happenings is sent out monthly to congregations
Look for the fluorescent Green Flier
D. Visit the Synod Website: www.southernohiosynod.org
To find the youth and family section simple go to the home page and click on the words "read more" on the Faith Formation tab (middle-right). Once there you will find all kinds of forms, and resources for children's. youth, and family ministry.
E. Connect with Gary directly
email@example.com or 614-464-3532 extension 4
Thank you for being a Youth Advocate in your congregation!
Standard ELCA Links & Information
- The Christian Education Network Of the ELCA (Formerly LACE)
ELCA Resources Home Page: Click Here
Good Gifts: Click Here
Malaria Campaign: Click Here
World Hunger Products: Click Here
Faith & Spirituality Products: Click Here
Global Mission Resources: Click Here
Social Issues Resources: Click Here
Stewardship Resources: Click Here
Young Adult Ministry Products: Click Here
ELCA Merchandise: Click Here
ELCA World Hunger Resources
The ELCA World Hunger Folks have some great resources including service learning guides, brochures, and various action campaigns to choose from. THESE ARE REALLY GOOD RESOURCES!
Click Here For Details
There are great resources at the ELCA Youth MInistry Network website for all stages of ministry with family and youth and it is free to you at Martin's List. Once you log in click on the resources tab.
Lots of people and churches have been posting job opening, descriptions with the ELCA Youth Ministry Newtowrk. Please remember that the Network also has an updated service on the Network website to post positions, job descriptions, and contact information. Just head over to http://www.elcaymnet.org/placement