All power in the Church belongs to our Lord Jesus Christ, its head. All actions of this synod are to be carried out under his rule and authority.
This synod shall have a Synod Assembly, which shall be its highest legislative authority. The powers of the Synod Assembly are limited only by the provisions in the Articles of Incorporation, this constitution and bylaws, the assembly’s own resolutions, and the constitutions and bylaws of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
The Synod Council shall be the board of directors of this synod and shall serve as its interim legislative authority between meetings of the Synod Assembly. It may make decisions which are not in conflict with actions taken by the Synod Assembly or which are not precluded by provisions of this constitution or the constitution and bylaws of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Southern Ohio Synod Mission Territory Vision 2025 Narrative
While our Vision 2025 Narrative is not a governing document it is a guide to how we fund and develop ministries in our synod for the next 10 years. This document was presented at the 2015 Synod Assembly and is the basis for the Vision Implementation Team's work over the next few years.
Synod Visioning Document (pdf)
Synod Constitution, By-laws & Continuing Resolutions
The Constitution Committee reviews congregational constitutions as changes and updates are made so that these constitutions adhere to the Model Constitution for Congregations as adopted by the ELCA Churchwide Assemblies.
The documents and links provided below will help church councils as they update and modify their congregation's constitution so that the document is in compliance with ELCA Churchwide constitutional guidelines. Please note that all changes to a congregation's constitution, except for mandatory updates resulting from ELCA Churchwide Assembly actions, must be reviewed and approved by the Southern Ohio Synod Constitution Committee. Send an electronic copy of the updated/revised constitution to Pr. Bob Abrams, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact the synod office at 614.464.3532 with questions.
Links to the ELCA's Office of the Secretary page on ELCA.org. Use this link to view and download the Model Constitution for Congregations and 2016 updates as approved by the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
The Southern Ohio Synod’s Constitution Committee offers tips in this document to assist congregations in updating their constitutions. (Click on title above)
The Synod Council shall be the board of directors of this synod and shall serve as its interim legislative authority between meetings of the Synod Assembly. It may make decisions which are not in conflict with actions taken by the Synod Assembly or which are not precluded by provisions of this constitution or the constitution and bylaws of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. (SOS Constitution †S10.02.)
The functions of the Synod Council shall be to:
- Exercise trusteeship responsibilities on behalf of this synod.
- Recommend program goals and budgets to the regular meetings of the Synod Assembly.
- Carry out the resolutions of the Synod Assembly.
- Provide for an annual review of the roster of ordained ministers and of other official rosters, receive and act upon appropriate recommendations regarding those persons whose status is subject to reconsideration and action under the constitution and bylaws of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and make a report to the Synod Assembly of the Synod Council’s actions in this regard.
- Issue letters of call to ordained ministers and letters of call to associates in ministry, members of the Deaconess Community of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and diaconal ministers as authorized by Chapter 7 of the constitution and bylaws of the ELCA.
- Fill vacancies until the next regular meeting of the Synod Assembly except as may otherwise be provided in the constitution or bylaws of this synod, and determine the fact of the incapacity of an officer of this synod.
- Report its actions to the regular meeting of the Synod Assembly.
- Perform such other functions as are set forth in the bylaws of this synod, or as may be delegated to it by the Synod Assembly.
(SOS Constitution S10.03.)